This week was my grandma Garlocks Birthday. As I thought about the memories and the values that she taught me I remember the talks we had.
One being we had went to Sam's Club just her and I. I was getting ready to leave on a mission for my church. We were going to pick up the cake for my family party before I left. It was the first time in years that all of my mothers family was together. My uncle had been suffering from Brain Cancer and I knew I would be leaving and he would not live until I returned 18 months later. As my grandmother and I talked about my uncle. She said " I am grateful for your choice to serve a mission, I may not believe the same religious beliefs, and your uncle may not as well, but we love and will support you." That is the person my grandmother was. She no matter what we choose knew that it was important to us and she would support us.
I left for my mission and just a month after I was serving she passed away unexpectedly. I was so grateful that I had spent time with her and knew that my family was also grateful we had all of us together. We got a family picture and that picture is a treasured gift I have.
My grandmother also taught me not to judge others. She had several things in her life that we were not aware of until she passed away. We found lost family members and a history that can not be explained. However, being she had a Spanish/Hispanic family background and my grandfather was white. During the time that she dated and married my grandfather I am sure that others judged them and she had that experience. She taught us that judging others only leaves bad feelings within ourselves and we can not be fully happy.
One last memory is that my grandmother was a marvelous cook. She cooked pasta that I have tried and tried and still can not perfect. Maybe it was just because she made it I loved it.. And her Cream of Wheat was soo good. I also can not perfect that either.
I have her hutch in my kitchen. As we grew up she had square glass jars with lids that were full of candy. One particular candy was Candy Corns. Which are one of my favorites. It was there year round. To this day I have the same in the jars that were hers on her hutch. I think about her alot and what a great example she was to me. I miss her so much and know that she is watching over me today and helping me with all the things that I have been struggling with.
Grandma I love you and miss you.
I pray that I will be able to be the person that you taught me to be. Thank you for all your guidance and lessons you taught to me.
Hasta que nos encontramos otra vez
Con Amor,
Marnie
No comments:
Post a Comment